Friday, August 15, 2008

Laundry and Movies

Apparently today is a Belgian national holiday. I think it's great that Belgians (and probably Europeans) are on holiday 80% of the time, but in this case, it spoiled my plans. Last night I did laundry, but the place was closing as the wash finished. I started the dryer before they closed, figuring I'd pick up my clothes this morning on my way to Amsterdam, and now I have basically everything in my suitcase in a dryer in a locked building in Leuven. Looks like I'm staying another night!

This longer stay won't be all bad. I got a lot of administrative crap done this morning, and I hit on the video store girl after dinner. I fixed their computer (as is so often the case, the problem was pretty simple--the plug was loose; but I didn't tell her that ;-) and she gave me a free movie out of the deal. I need to return it tonight since I'm leaving in the morning, so my plan is to go right before they close (midnight) and see if she wants to go out afterwards...

I rented Sicko by Michael Moore, which I'm sure I'm going to hate if it's anything like his other movies--rife with faulty logic and exaggeration of perhaps otherwise legitimate claims to the point where he loses credibility. Nevertheless, I'm sure it will be thought provoking and I'll have a better background should anyone bring up the subject in discussion.

Amsterdam will be fun. One of Leszek's buddies lives there, and given my present situation, I am definitely not scared to ask a second-level connection if I can bum off them! (For that matter, I'm not afraid to ask a third, fourth, fifth, or sixth level connection either. I wouldn't ask a seventh--I gotta have my standards.) This one looks to have worked out; I'll be crashing on the couch while I'm there. That said, now that I'm finally on a somewhat normal sleep schedule, I plan to screw it all up by not crashing until the sun comes up tomorrow.

To a hopeful romance tonight!

No comments: