I'm doing my best to wean myself off a self-image as a soon-to-be MBA student, but presently, the MBA crowd is still one I identify with. With that in mind, I thought the this clip from last night's Daily Show was especially entertaining (albeit contrived).
The Daily Show, by the way, is the only TV I watch these days, and I watch it religiously. The line between entertainment and news is often blurred, and I think the Daily Show, by recognizing its nature as fusion of the two, can offer more honest viewpoints on most of today's cultural issues.
Unfortunately in my eyes, host John Stewart doesn't publicly acknowledge his show's implicit hybrid nature, saying the shows only responsibility is entertainment. He's repeatedly hid behind this self-constructed wall during debate around his show's journalistic responsibility, which in my mind, makes him just as disingenuous as the shows he lampoons. However, for the most part, Stewart keeps the show issue-focused, using jokes for entertainment rather than political spin, and offers honest debate on the hardest issues; I won't be navigating away (my new-age expression for "turning it off") any time soon.
The Daily Show, by the way, is the only TV I watch these days, and I watch it religiously. The line between entertainment and news is often blurred, and I think the Daily Show, by recognizing its nature as fusion of the two, can offer more honest viewpoints on most of today's cultural issues.
Unfortunately in my eyes, host John Stewart doesn't publicly acknowledge his show's implicit hybrid nature, saying the shows only responsibility is entertainment. He's repeatedly hid behind this self-constructed wall during debate around his show's journalistic responsibility, which in my mind, makes him just as disingenuous as the shows he lampoons. However, for the most part, Stewart keeps the show issue-focused, using jokes for entertainment rather than political spin, and offers honest debate on the hardest issues; I won't be navigating away (my new-age expression for "turning it off") any time soon.
1 comment:
HA!! John Oliver is awesome...I heard a rumor that he might be getting his own show (another successful alum out of the Daily Show!).
Glad to see you've taken a liking to the Daily Show. It helps me just kind of relax while watching the news and laugh at what are really stupid situations. I think all news programs should look at being this entertaining!
John Oliver: This sounds fantastic!! When are you going to start teaching this course?
Professor: We have been for decades
John Oliver: Would you say you're good at your job?
Hilarious....
Post a Comment